Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Morning Glory

"Some people live and learn and others just live."

-My Dad

I wasn't always a morning person and if it weren't for coffee, I wouldn't be now.  I didn't start drinking coffee until I was 35 years old and then only as a matter of necessity.  I generally lean towards the dark side.  Keep in mind when I started drinking coffee I was weened on Starbucks.  From that point on, everything else tasted like warm water in comparison.  A curse really.   Just as my kids learned to look for the Golden Arches, I tended to look for the beautiful Starbuck's coffee Siren calling my name.  Good, bad or other, I'm hooked on the bean.

I had a thought the other day about planning my own funeral or wake.  Wake sounds less morbid.  The question really is, should we be the ones to decide what our wake should be?  Is it for me or for those that are seeing me off to decide?  A funeral is a process of closure I suppose.  But for me I like the thought of getting everything ready.  It all feels like getting ready for a trip or a vacation.  Doing all the things you do before you leave such as mowing the yard, taking out the trash, stopping the mail and have someone to look after the pets.

They say as you gain wisdom the longer you live and the more life you experience.   The funny thing about wisdom is no one wants you to impart it on them without them asking for it.  Then if they do ask, they generally still go ahead and do what they wanted to do in the first place.  That whole 'live and learn' thing.  But I suppose that's how we become wise.  And for those that don't wise up, well I guess they just chose to live and skip the learning part.  That's ok too, because wise people as a matter of being wise learn to accept people and their actions just as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment