Thursday, August 5, 2010

Humble Berry Pie

"Keep your words soft and tender because tomorrow you may have to eat them."

-Author unknown

I was forced to eat some Humble Pie today and I can't say that it tasted all that terrific.  I had to make an apology to someone I really didn't want to have to apologize to for something I honestly didn't feel that apologetic for.  It reminded me of a kid being scolded for something and then made to apologize to whoever was offended.  Followed up by, "say it like you mean it".

Pride is one of the seven deadly sins and it has been called out by some as the most insidious.  I don't know about that but I do know thinking we know everything is as human as human is.  None of us want to be wrong, not even in the slightest way.  But that's where the counter weight or the proverbial ying to pride's yang comes into play.  Humility.  Pride is strong but humility is immeasurable in strength but isn't all that glamorous.  One thing to note, you won't find any great human being that didn't possess it.   Were they born with it?  I doubt it.  However, at some point in their life they began to understand humility's importance and they cultivated it within themselves until pride was displaced.

Learning to say you are sorry is a very difficult thing but it does get easier.  Also you don't even have to mean it when you say it.  Seriously, the fact that you recognize that it needs to be said and even greater your ability to muster the words from your mouth is monumental.  Acceptance comes later.  Also think about this, the act of apologizing actually does more for you than the person being apologized to.  Pride kills the soul but humility softens the heart.  You won't live, truly live, without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment